06-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Interesting question. I was separately going to also ask where that (or those) SIM cards are located and accessible to owners?
Yeah, AustinV got me to thinking when he said in another post..." I already compared this fake "CarPlay subscription" concept to taking yearly fee for using massage seats."

I really don't like the idea of my stuff (car, phone, puter, etc) being remotely controlled by someone, something else. I never turn on auto updates on any of my electronic stuff. I am usually deliberately a rev behind on any of my operating systems and enjoy a pretty dang stable environment.

What AustinV said resonated with me and started wondering if there was a way to stop it or somehow put some personal control around it.

I know your phone needs it to communicate with your car so you would lose certain features like the ability to remotely control aspects of your car via your phone, but for those who don't see that capability as required or of value, maybe they could gain stability instead. Sure once you are able to remotely control your car, you may fall in love with that and not want to lose it...I mean who wants to go back to cranking up their windows?? But if its a trade off between a few conveniences, that you did not have before, and reliability, well, what if?
Appreciate 0