12-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #63
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycy View Post
I wanted to update this thread. My base rack install was causing an annoying whistle at around 65 - 70 mph. It was really loud and high pitched. So after some research I decided to try out the Thule Airscreen Fairing. This is not an exact fit for the BMW base rack so some Macgyvering was required.

I haven't had time for extensive testing yet, but in 2 short trips the whistling has been completely eliminated. Also, the wind noise has been reduced by probably 50%. It's still there unfortunately but is much more tolerable. I will report back if things change.
I appreciate you sharing your “Macgyvering” experiment and sorry it didn’t quite live up to your expectations. I have to say, I could see this on a Subaru Outback, but I really don’t like it on a refined vehicle like the G05. I think BMW really blew it on this and the rear trailer hitch body color fascia.

Even my 4Runner has a dead quiet and more elegant solution for the cross bars and rack system:

I had ordered my X5 with the rack, but cancelling now. I'll wait to see if a better and quieter solution emerges. For those with air suspension and wanting bulk storage like a rocket box, I think a receiver hitch cargo box would be a decent option.
Appreciate 0