Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
For the record, being based in Canada and having my wifi hotspot services apparently provides by US AT&T for some reason (AT&T does not have a presence in Canada at all except in roaming partnerships), at fairly ridiculous prices even by Canadian standards, and in USD$ to top it all off, I already asked my dealer to figure that out and to tell me how to change the SIM card — nothing yet and I am not holding my breath, but the complaint is logged. I do know that the phone number assigned to the SIM card is, in fact, local, which is interesting.
Did your free wifi actually expire and stop working or are you planning ahead?
You're quoting my post from June 2019 — many things have happened since :-). Yes, the trial expired (that wasn't a surprise). I have used AT&T subscription service for a month at a time a couple of times — expensive and pain in the ass to manage as you always have to call them and wait on hold for account cleanup. I never found the car's SIM card (but really didn't look very hard) and never got any comments from BMW on it (as expected: it's beneath BMW to answer customer questions at all or ever in Canada). I have a separate 12V socket-powered (configured to turn on/off with the car, minor soldering was involved) LTE hotspot with a SIM card connected to my household shared data plan that I can use when I need wifi in the car, but that is actually currently fairly rare — it would be more if I could get an Alexa device (other than Echo Auto, which is crap) to work in the car, but that can't be made to work because iDrive will no longer (since, it seems, 03/2019.xx software) Bluetooth pair with anything other than a real smartphone. That's all I got.