01-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #21
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I'm a little surprised that by now, since the G05 has been out for a few years, no one has posted here that they tried pulling the Telematics module and attempted to find and/or replace the SIM. Yeah, I know, its above the headliner and a PITA to do but I'm sure a determined owner could easily do it.
Possibly even if the SIM could be replaced with one from their favorite provider, it wouldn't work, like a provider locked phone for example or for some other reason and I'm only referencing cars within AT&T's reach. BMW had to provide for several different cellular providers around the world, somehow I'm of the opinion that 99% of the Telematics modules are the same and its only the SIM that tells them apart, provider by provider. But, what do I know?
Even if it were doable, would the juice be worth the squeeze? It won't give the car extra features that aren't booked in the Connected Drive store will it? I'm under the impression it will only mean the car can be used as a wifi hotspot for other devices to access the internet without paying the monthly data subscription to BMW.

If thats the case, you could surely just use your own device (mobile phone, portable hotspot, etc) as a hotspot for your other devices to connect to?
Appreciate 0