03-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #24
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The road you are testing on is concrete?? I have heard weird concrete / tire hums on certain kinds of concrete textures on road trips. It is only on certain sections of concrete roads. It's very rare and only was ever heard on that type of surface. I heard in with my 20" wheels down south on a stretch of road in SC and only this certain stretch of road. It was so bizarre as the rest of our 1100 miles were normal/quiet. I would imagine 22" wheels would have been significantly louder and maddening. It was a combination of texture, surface and wheel tire resonating at a certain speed.
Yes, It is much more apparent on concrete roads and highways since they aren't smooth and have continuous small bumps that the tire has to try and absorb. On smoother roads it's much quieter, but sound will still show up on even slightly bumpy stretches. On long highway stretches it's a constant drone that is really annoying.

However on my loaner with 21" run flats, the sound is not nearly as apparent on the same roads and is acceptable. Surprising a 21" run flat would be that much quieter than 22" non run flats, but maybe the contis are just that much louder? But I'm not seeing that others on the forum are complaining about it though. I'll hear what dealer has to say tomorrow, but I'm braced for them to say it's normal. I may try and test drive a similar car myself as well.
Appreciate 0