View Single Post
      10-27-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
I have a similar history with JB4, as I've had it it on both my E70 X5 and F80 M3 with great success.

I have read the forums and the issues people have with JB4. Terry is right, this is a tough engine to tune.

With that said, I worked with Terry, sending him many logs on different maps with TMAP, EWG and OBD2 connected to try and get the perfect map for my car. We adjusted FF and WGCM levels and eventually was able to find a sweet spot on Map 1. I haven't had a malfunction or safety code since.

HOWEVER, before doing this, I was getting chassis/drivetrain malfunction codes on every other pull in the stock, "from the factory" JB4 firmware settings. The trick with JB4 is not relying on the stock settings, work with Terry to get it adjusted perfectly to your car with custom values and you shouldn't have an issue.

Hope this helps.
It does help.... thank you.

I can turn a wrench better than anyone I know...... but I've always been pretty slow when it comes to anything "computer" related. That part of my brain just doesn't function properly.

With that said.... I never "tuned" either of my past 2 BMWs.... just installed the JB4, set the correct map.... and forgot about it. Ironically.... even before that when I was a Subaru guy, I used the Cobb Accessport to tune my STI, and I'd even done a turbo/injector swap on that. Same story though: set it and forget it. I've never "datalogged" anything..... nor could I really tell you exactly what "datalogging" even means.

Living overseas, time difference, and my piss poor computer skills? Probably best I just hold off until they get something dialed in bit better. I mean.... 523 hp is nothing to scoff at.... it should move pretty well, even stock
Appreciate 0