02-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #56
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
So, big drive last weekend (wish BMW gave out frequent fliers for all the miles I'm doing in this car) and tested the High Beam Assist. Here are my thoughts:
  1. Works very well in rural areas where there isn't much oncoming traffic or leading cars;
  2. As above, but also works well in the rain;
  3. Not so good once oncoming traffic builds up;
  4. Sometimes difficult to confirm the high beam dipped for oncoming traffic because the blue high beam light remains on, even when the lights dip.

Definitely a feature I'll use in remote and rural areas, but would be happier if there was a visual cue on the instrument cluster or HUD indicating the lights had dipped for oncoming traffic.
It works really well. You need to get used to it driving behind / approaching somebody with the blue light on. You can see it working by the darker region in the high beam surrounding the car in front of you or suppressing the beam aiming at oncoming traffic. Oncoming cars will let you know if the system doesn't work 🤔. But that is not what you are looking for.

With heavier traffic indeed there is too much going on with the beams adjusting. But then it turns off.

I have done some driving on dark mountain roads this week and it works really well. Really happy with the laser lights in these conditions.
Appreciate 0