Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I have a 2SS 1LE, it is definitely not a street car with emphasis on drag racing.
Put the brakes on James, your 2SS is a GT Car by definition.

And before anyone else cries about my definitions, they are the oldest I could find when researching at the tender age of 12, but they make a lot of sense.

The original Sports Cars had a theme, and that theme was fun. To accomplish this, the Brit's made it feel good by giving it light weight, a manual trans, a radio, and some sort of open top, with NO THOUGHT to displacement. The idea was tossability, and fun while it was happening. Not a very V8 thing...

The classic Muscle Cars were just the opposite; coupe's with emphasis on power, and automatic transmissions to put that power down. There was never any thought given to an open top, or a fun twisty ride in the sun, but more a visit to the local dragstrip on Friday night. And beyond that, ease of modification with the express intent to make them quicker in a straight line is part of their DNA.

The GT Car was literally created to blur the lines, to try to have your cake and eat it too. Nowdays EVERYTHING is a damn GT Car if you don't research the old definitions of what a car was about.

ANYTHING can be a race car, you just have to purpose build it to race.

The perfect example of a Sports Car is probably a Miata.
The perfect example of a Muscle Car is probably a Hellcat.
The perfect example of a GT Car is probably an M3.

The Exige, Demon, and cars of this sort, which are really thinly-disguised race cars for the road, don't really fit into any category nicely.
Appreciate 0