02-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #114
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Not sure how it compares to LP prices but, yeah, it wasn't cheap for gas either. Like you said, though, totally worth it for the rare need.
I am doing this from memory so maybe I mis-remember, but I recall a 25kW - 30kW generator using 4 gal of LP / hour and the price at that time was around $2.50 / gallon, so $10 / hour. $10 x 24 x 7 = $1,680 / week if running at full capacity. When I looked at our usage in the summer, I think I guesstimated something like $1,000 - $1,200 / week in normal use. And it didn't make sense to me to make the investment and not use it so if we put it in, that's what I expected the cost to be to use it.

The other issue was tank size. I believe they only fill the tanks to 80% capacity so we were looking at a 1,000 gallon tank getting buried in our front yard. Then if burying something like that in the yard, you start thinking about running the propane inside for cooking, dryer and water heaters and outside to the BBQ and a pool heater and the project gets very expensive, very quickly. It would be nice to have and if money were no object, I'd probably do it. But, in our case, we didn't want to spend the money.