Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesop_tortoise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkrups20056 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesop_tortoise View Post
Remember not to confuse the format with the quality.

You can make a FLAC or ALAC file out of any sound quality: from 320kbit/16-48khz (mp3) to 16bit/44khz (CD quality) to 24bit/96khz (the highest quality currently possible). It'll still have that same quality as whatever it was before you converted it; meaning you can't upgrade the quality by converting to FLAC or ALAC. You can only downgrade by compressing. So if you rip a CD into ALAC, then that's the quality you're playing. If you turn an mp3 file into ALAC, that's all the quality you're getting: mp3.

Now, let's assume you have a higher than CD quality track in ALAC format. If you play it through wireless CarPlay or even airplay, it'll be downgraded to CD quality as that is the maximum it can transmit to the speakers. Hope this helps.
Yep, all of my ALACS are ripped straight from CDs. This is a good reminder and makes sense. I assume that means CarPlay transmits maximum 16/44 by what you said via ALAC?
Yes correct, 16/44 is the maximum wireless CarPlay can transmit.
So to confirm, if most of my music on my iPhone is flac 44/16, I use wireless CarPlay, it will convert it to alac and I shouldn't lose any quality. Which would be the same as if I were to plug it in?

It's only for the handful of albums I have that are flac 96/24 that there will be a small audio drop which would still be present if I were to wire it.
Appreciate 0