View Single Post
      09-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
StrykerRan
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Uniden R7 Radar install with Mirror Tap

Hi- just had my Uniden R7 installed with a Mirror Tap (first time). I wasn't comfortable separating the mirror cover so I went to a local stereo shop to have it installed for $50. As you can see from the pics, the tabs are quite brittle so be very careful using a simple pry tool to separate the seam.

I used the "second from the smallest" tap size. So others can save some money and buy that exact size. I recommend getting the 15" (I got the 10") so you can route the cable easier, say to a blendmount underneath the rear mirror. Any slack can easily fit inside the mirror cover.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Follow the install instruction of Mirror Tap and remember to ziptie the cable to the X5 wiring harness so that it is intact and won't tug on the mini taps if the radar was to fall down.

This BMW, 2019 X5 4.0 seems to retain power in the mirror as well as the cigarette lighter socket for about 5 mins. So after 5 mins, everything will shut off. I have my dashcam and Amazon Auto Echo plugged into the cig.

Total install time 20 minutes which includes 5 mins for the unit to shut down after locking the vehicle.

Hope this helps potential owners of this vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
radmjk238.00
DNGRTOM122.50
Cooltones241.00
ladra17.50
Blekp16.00