Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by njt07 View Post
I think this post is the final nail for me, gonna let my dealer know I wont be getting a 45e. I was pretty excited to get this vehicle after all my research, but this inability to it in neutral for towing or moving is strange and not something I'm willing to deal with especially with BMWs less than stellar reliability (but great driving experience).
I agree this is worrying and an extreme inconvenience but how many times have you had to tow your vehicle anywhere? I've been driving for 25 years and have only had to tow my vehicle once. So if you look at it from that lens, why would something that so very rarely happens sway you from buying this car?

Edit: Added more qualifiers - On top of having to have your car towed - how many times is it because the car is completely dead electronically and how many times does that happen when you don't have access to the front of the hood. For this issue to become an inconvenience to the X5 owner, your car has to be completely dead and situated such that you don't have access to the battery. Those variable just lower the probability of it ever being an issue for you.
Sorry, if you've only had one tow in your life, it's been a pretty easy life so far, congrats.

Not sure what access to the hood has to do with anything (main battery is at the back under electric hatch lock and the inaccessible mechanical transmission unlock being discussed is under the centre of the car); I guess your point is you can try to power the car from the hood externally if the issue is solely a dead battery, fair enough I guess.

Bottom line is that this is a truly idiotic and dangerous design decision by BMW and even my BMW dealer's service manager (the guy solely responsible for me still driving a BMW) thinks so, but is not allowed to use my blunt wording. You simply do not a) make almost everything by wire, b) put in 43+ CPUs and a couple of kilometres of wiring in c) a software technology showcase car, and d) make it nearly impossible and possibly dangerous to tow when the electronics fail in some unpredictable way in the real world. You just don't. It is truly idiotic.