View Single Post
      10-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
njt07
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I don't disagree with any of those points. My point, however, had nothing to do about the merits of BMWs design choice. It was merely pointing out that the probability of this particular design choice adversely effecting you is very small. It definitely shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether or not to buy the vehicle. Really what I glean from this thread is that if you need to tow your vehicle because the power it completely gone, you need to get with the tow company and speak with them first hand to ensure that they provide the proper equipment to tow the car.
Heres how I envision the situation.

A. I have my family with me and we go on a day trip and this happens locally. No real biggie other than needing 2 tow trucks, and family stranded. Severity low.

B. I take family on a camping trip or longer road trip. Now we are away from the metro area, does the area even have two tow trucks that can handle this job? This is the states, Texas, where the isolated empty spaces are everywhere. Family is stranded and isolated. Severity high.

C. I take my family to the mountains for skiing/snowboarding. Now family stranded, isolated, cold, and highly doubtful theres 2 tow trucks for this job, if they can even get to us. Severity very high.

Btw in the military I’ve had vehicles towed 5-6 times that I remember due to driving cross country for PCS moves. Thankfully my latest vehicle (Grand Cherokee) has a neutral gear button just for this occasion, but it still has to be put on a flatbed. The started died and the battery also died, eerily similar to the OPs situation. Just the need for a flat bed extended our wait to 3 hours on the side of the road. I tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best, but this issue fails that test.

This isn't my only reason for choosing not to get 45e but the recalls, new year issues and now this, all contributed. I REALLY want this vehicle, but I’ll wait and see how things work out and maybe get the 2022 MY... if they fix this issue.
Appreciate 0