Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Apples and oranges. Get your point.

I don't like the feel of BMW's anymore. They also depreciate like lead weights

I don't cross shop any BMW sedan or sports car with Porsche like I said apples and oranges

I owned a 2020 992 Carrera S drove it for 10 months and traded it back in for 2k less than I paid

So to me what's the real cost - 2k to drive a 140k car for 10 months or buy a M8 lose 25k in 10 months so is the BMW really the better bargain? I say no. In my mind BMW is not competing with Porsche other than perhaps SUV's. Proof being it's nearly impossible to find any 992 911's anywhere yet the M8 sat on lots for going on 2 years. The M5 has massive discounts, the X5M and X6M massive discounts where the higher end Cayennes aren't discountedz

If you lease certainly BMW is the leader no doubt about it.

My point was simply a car that's fast in a straight line is great doesn't make the car better and outside of this video there is no X5 M50 beating a cayenne turbo when the mags have the regular cayenne turbo faster than the X5M comp to 60 and close race in 1/4 mile
Few things:

1.) Define "massive discounts" because I don't think 10-11% off constitutes a massive discount. I've seen threads on other sites that show Porsches in the 5-8% range. Sure you may not get a discount on a brand new 911 GT3, but that's not happening on an M2CS either.
2.) If the 992 was such an orgasm on wheels, why ditch it after less than a year?
3.) Considering that a modestly equipped (for me) 992 would spec'd out at $150K, while I believe you got $2K less than you paid after 10 months, I'd venture to guess that your situation trends more towards the exception and not the rule. I could be wrong, but there seems to be a heavy skew towards leasing, which, to your point is +1 for BMW.
3a.) Sidenote: I'm not paying $148K for someone else's used Porsche that they spec'd to their liking. Why not just buy new?
4.) Cayenne's are cool, it's on our list, but the nickel and diming for even the most basic features is totally unreasonable by Porsche. Again, comparing fully loaded apples to other fully loaded apples (that is: X5MC to Porsche Cayenne GTS) and the BMW is still cheaper, faster and more stylish. And while I won't track mine, in the hands of a capable wheelman, I think the X5MC beats the GTS around the circuit too.
5.) As other posters have stated, BMW really doesn't produce a true sports car. But that's the problem IMHO. BMW has a more well-rounded fleet. Multiple sedan options: sporty (M8), luxury (7), best of both worlds (M5). Like you said, though, BMW has the SUV...ahem SAV...game on lock. Base ​Porsche SUVs look cheap and "plasticy".
6.) I think BMW purposefully caters to the young leasing crowd, particularly for ///M Cars. The age threads I and others have put up run the gamut but resounding theme seems to be: Young (35-50), Male, College or Professional Degree and wants a new car every two to three years.

Again, just different strokes for different folks. In a few years, when I'm a bit more established and can justify a Porsche 911 to Mrs. Malibu then OK, but now with a newborn, backseats are required on all future conveyances for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 2
ed41367.50
LSM1118.00