Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Apples and oranges. Get your point.

I don't like the feel of BMW's anymore. They also depreciate like lead weights

I don't cross shop any BMW sedan or sports car with Porsche like I said apples and oranges

I owned a 2020 992 Carrera S drove it for 10 months and traded it back in for 2k less than I paid

So to me what's the real cost - 2k to drive a 140k car for 10 months or buy a M8 lose 25k in 10 months so is the BMW really the better bargain? I say no. In my mind BMW is not competing with Porsche other than perhaps SUV's. Proof being it's nearly impossible to find any 992 911's anywhere yet the M8 sat on lots for going on 2 years. The M5 has massive discounts, the X5M and X6M massive discounts where the higher end Cayennes aren't discountedz

If you lease certainly BMW is the leader no doubt about it.

My point was simply a car that's fast in a straight line is great doesn't make the car better and outside of this video there is no X5 M50 beating a cayenne turbo when the mags have the regular cayenne turbo faster than the X5M comp to 60 and close race in 1/4 mile
Few things:

1.) Define "massive discounts" because I don't think 10-11% off constitutes a massive discount. I've seen threads on other sites that show Porsches in the 5-8% range. Sure you may not get a discount on a brand new 911 GT3, but that's not happening on an M2CS either.
2.) If the 992 was such an orgasm on wheels, why ditch it after less than a year?
3.) Considering that a modestly equipped (for me) 992 would spec'd out at $150K, while I believe you got $2K less than you paid after 10 months, I'd venture to guess that your situation trends more towards the exception and not the rule. I could be wrong, but there seems to be a heavy skew towards leasing, which, to your point is +1 for BMW.
3a.) Sidenote: I'm not paying $148K for someone else's used Porsche that they spec'd to their liking. Why not just buy new?
4.) Cayenne's are cool, it's on our list, but the nickel and diming for even the most basic features is totally unreasonable by Porsche. Again, comparing fully loaded apples to other fully loaded apples (that is: X5MC to Porsche Cayenne GTS) and the BMW is still cheaper, faster and more stylish. And while I won't track mine, in the hands of a capable wheelman, I think the X5MC beats the GTS around the circuit too.
5.) As other posters have stated, BMW really doesn't produce a true sports car. But that's the problem IMHO. BMW has a more well-rounded fleet. Multiple sedan options: sporty (M8), luxury (7), best of both worlds (M5). Like you said, though, BMW has the SUV...ahem SAV...game on lock. Base ​Porsche SUVs look cheap and "plasticy".
6.) I think BMW purposefully caters to the young leasing crowd, particularly for ///M Cars. The age threads I and others have put up run the gamut but resounding theme seems to be: Young (35-50), Male, College or Professional Degree and wants a new car every two to three years.

Again, just different strokes for different folks. In a few years, when I'm a bit more established and can justify a Porsche 911 to Mrs. Malibu then OK, but now with a newborn, backseats are required on all future conveyances for the foreseeable future.
flip cars all the time, miss my 992 C2S a ton and wish I never got rid of it Bc I can't replace it now. Most dealers have zero sports cars (911's) - even my if I wanted another C2S My dealer has zero that can be ordered as the order bank is full. The idea was flip out of it get a 992 GTS or Turbo. GTS is delayed turbo is sold out for a year at least. So I'm in a holding pattern

Had the main packages and was not 150k.

There are zero discounts on Cayenne GTS Coupes vs 10-12% on X5M that's massive

BMW discounts all their cars significantly and they depreciate at an accelerated pace. My F90 M5 was discounted 20% when I bought it. Luckily I didn't like it at all and resold it 3 months later and didn't take as big a haircut as I would have had I kept it longer

I was the biggest BMW fanboy for the longest time, but again IMO they lost their mojo. Same theme in all their cars across the board. Stiff suspension that doesn't translate at all to connected to the road or confidence Inspiring handling.(stiff just to be stiff), heavy, numb steering

My Cayenne GTS Coupe was exactly the price of a X5M except cheaper when accounting for the huge discount. Stylish is subjective I think all X5's look the same when outfitted with M sport and they don't do much for me in the looks department, it's way too high and looks like just another X5 with some bigger intakes. It's much faster than my Cayenne GTS but imo handles worse feels less connected. It gets muddied when people talk I don't track my car. I don't track my Cayenne what I mean is how it feels in day to day driving - connected, tight, great steering. I had a M4 Comp which I liked significantly more than my F90 M5 due to how it felt. The Idrive system is the best in the business by far and I prefer the interface.

I am in the BMW age/education etx bracket you mention for leasing and used to lease due to BMW's favorable rates and then put on swapalease when I wanted out. I am in a tax credit state and know a Porsche dealer well so now I buy and drive and trade and lose very little money. There is no reason to lease any 911 bc even the most base one demand outstrips supply and they hold value.

There is no doubt about it, if leasing and you want a 150k M8, 120k M5 or 125k X5M no Marques come close to the low lease payments BMW offers. Lot of car for a very low lease payment at that price point, BMW definitely has a huge advantage here, Porsches don't lease well and they are often worth much more than the lease buyout at end of term. Likely why Porsche is so profitable

Agree most base Porsche Cayennes can look cheap plasticky inside and they look pretty plain outside in base trim