View Single Post
      05-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
22's here on both my X5 and my wife's X7.
On the X5 they are non RFT and on the X7 they are RFT. Both cars drive very well and composed especially with air suspension. If you live in an area w poor roads and lots of potholes, you may want to opt for the 21 w RFT.
I just wonder how much difference the ~1/2" of sidewall is going to make if you hit a pot hole (I dont know the profile of the 21" tires, but I just assumed it would be proportional to the rim since BWM is trying to keep the outside diameter of the wheel the same).

I always thought about it like this, either get 19 inch wheels or get 22 inch wheels - everything in the middle is going to give you incremental benefits when facing pothole damage. So if that's the driving factor in your decision either go all in or all out.

If you're going 40 mph and hit a pot hole, it's not going to matter if you have 22, 21 or 20s - maybe you survive with 19s, but it's all luck IMO. I wonder if there's a study where they have run wheels side by side that will show you for the same pot hole, you can hit it going 30mph with 19" wheels, 28mph with 20" wheels, 26mph with 21" wheels and 24mph with 22" wheels. That would be interesting to see.
Appreciate 0