View Single Post
      05-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #13
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

FYI you're gaining about a half inch of sidewall going from the 20" wheels on your M550i compared to the 22's on the X5. (I'm guessing VTENGER you weren't talking about this but were referencing the difference between 22 and 21?)

Were your M550i tires runflats? Apparently you're MORE likely to bend rims on runflats vs non. The solid plastic or whatever is in the sidewall doesn't give when hitting a pothole so your rim bends instead, plus your ride is just way more harsh.
I was worried about the ride with the 22's, was coming from a GLC43 with 20" wheels that had 3/4" more sidewall than the 22's. I'd argue the ride is better/less jarring on the BMW with DHP, probably due to suspension differences.

Not having runflats makes a huge difference too, it wouldn't surprise me if the ride on 21's with runflats is worse than 22's without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I just wonder how much difference the ~1/2" of sidewall is going to make if you hit a pot hole (I dont know the profile of the 21" tires, but I just assumed it would be proportional to the rim since BWM is trying to keep the outside diameter of the wheel the same).

I always thought about it like this, either get 19 inch wheels or get 22 inch wheels - everything in the middle is going to give you incremental benefits when facing pothole damage. So if that's the driving factor in your decision either go all in or all out.

If you're going 40 mph and hit a pot hole, it's not going to matter if you have 22, 21 or 20s - maybe you survive with 19s, but it's all luck IMO. I wonder if there's a study where they have run wheels side by side that will show you for the same pot hole, you can hit it going 30mph with 19" wheels, 28mph with 20" wheels, 26mph with 21" wheels and 24mph with 22" wheels. That would be interesting to see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0