01-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #32
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Just my opinion. But the way I see it, BMW is having an identity crisis. They built their reputation and heritage on being enthusiast oriented. Then wanted to broaden their market to encompass more of the masses. Doing this is extremely difficult and even more so being successful at it.

Different industry, but I saw this with the niche A/V market. There were brands that got their start catering to the audiophile/videophile what have you. Once they started to set their market goals to encompass the mass market, those companies got into serious trouble. Many went bankrupt. Many had to be absorbed by a larger conglomerate. And others are only a shell of what they once were.

In my opinion, BMW needs to stick to a specific market segment and be good at that instead of being mediocre across different market segments. At the M Car Control Clinic last year, I had a conversation with one of the instructors about current M cars. It's pretty telling that he said he didn't like any of them except the M2.
The emotional side of me agrees entirely, but the logical side knows this is a sure way to tank sales.
Appreciate 0