Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

BMW X5 45e caught fire

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Could very well be a Belgian member as a 45e is still quite rare but we have some members that had their 45e delivered.

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/video-gloe...egem~abc09459/

This is in Dutch but a quick summary:
Car caught fire by itself when parked, was not charging, completely destroyed.

Google translation:

Barely three weeks after delivery, a hybrid BMW of more than 100,000 euros burns out at the municipal school parking lot.

Three other cars were also badly damaged. Cause not yet known.

In the Flemish Brabant town of Eppegem near Zemst, a brand new hybrid BMW X5 45e of more than 100,000 euros was burned out this afternoon. The car - barely three weeks old - was parked in the parking lot of the De Waterleest municipal school. Three other cars also burned out. "It is very painful to have to lose my new car now," says owner Filip Vander Aerschot.

Filip Vander Aerschot from Zemst had been waiting for his new ‘toy’ for eight months: a brand new BMW X5 45e. A new, hybrid model from the German car manufacturer, of which not much is currently driving around the world. "In Belgium I was even one of the first two lucky ones," says Filip. “I was allowed to get behind the wheel three weeks ago. Delicious. ”

But Filip Vander Aerschot has not been able to enjoy his new car for more than 100,000 euros for a long time. His wife, who is a teacher at the De Waterleest municipal school in Eppegem, had driven to work with it on Tuesday. "Around noon she suddenly called me with the message that our car was on fire", the Zemstenaar continues. “The fire was so intense that the car could no longer be saved. Moreover, the fire spread on three other parked cars. Certainly one of them is also ripe for the scrap heap and the other two also suffered serious damage. "

The fire brigade had to bring a container of water to submerge the hybrid car. This extinguishing method is necessary for electric cars because the battery does not stop burning due to normal extinguishing. "Of course it is very painful to have to lose your car that way and barely three weeks after the delivery", Filip mourns. “I'm still shaking on my legs and can't believe it. On the other hand, we can be glad that this happened on a public parking lot and that nobody was injured. Imagine if the car had started to burn in our garage, it would have ended much worse. "

School children were not bothered by smoke

Because the car caught fire near the municipal school, there was a moment of panic that the smoke would blow in the direction of the school. "But we were lucky that the wind blew the heavy smoke in the other direction," says Mayor Veerle Geerinckx (N-VA). “The children did see everything happen, but in the end were not bothered by the smoke. An evacuation was therefore not necessary. "

In the meantime Filip Vander Aerschot contacted other owners of the same BMW hybrid model to see if they too had problems with their car. “One of them informed me that his car could not be delivered on time because there was a chance of a short circuit. I hope that it will soon become clear what the cause of the fire was, so that other owners can be notified in time if there is a general problem. "

Investigation

According to BMW, there have been no problems worldwide with the brand new hybrid model. "But we will of course look at this incident," the spokesperson says. “The wreck will be collected by us and thoroughly investigated. In such cases, however, it is not always obvious to find out the exact cause. If it succeeds, we will contact the owner. To say that it is a short circuit is guesswork. "

According to eyewitnesses, the plug-in hybrid BMW (which in addition to a gasoline engine also has an electric drive, ed) was not charging when the accident happened, research will now have to show how the car could suddenly catch fire.

Name:  763-2.jpeg
Views: 21079
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  763-4.jpeg
Views: 20753
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  763.jpeg
Views: 20783
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  763-3.jpeg
Views: 20253
Size:  99.9 KB