03-06-2024, 11:27 AM   #104
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
BlkGS you're fighting a bit of an uphill battle. We're just on forums discussing things that are unlikely to change. I learned the depths of a lot of this when I worked at Twitter and why we were based out of the state of Delaware.

You're saying talk to the same local reps that are benefiting from the current system in place, what incentive would they have to change it and in turn, cost them more money?

If you want to be the one to actually make a change to the system you're more than welcome to. I have made friends across many economic areas to understand that friends don't hurt friends. Most folks are looking to pay as little as possible through whatever means necessary.
I get it. I don't disagree. The political mind also doesn't work correctly. They will see that they're losing money to the Montana LLC thing and decide they need to prosecute people using that loophole rather than address why people feel the need to do so.

I'd like to think we have hope to fix the issues we have regarding govt waste and excess. I'm probably being optimistic.

At the end of the day, where my realism kicks in is that if you do this, the state you live in will find you, and levy you with all those back taxes. This was a big thing about 10 years ago when a buncha guys in GA were caught doing it, and some of those guys ended up owing millions in taxes before the punitive fees came.in. almost all states require you to register the car where it is kept. So unless you're leaving your car in Montana for 6 months of the year, it's tax fraud. And the tax guys are the least friendly part of the government to deal with. There's no new arguments here, no moral high ground, it's just a running clock for when the state decides that you're worth enough to go after.

Back about 10 years ago this was a big thing on YouTube. Ed Bolian on VinWiki tried to do a moral high ground thing and it really sounded like he knew he was screwed because he was pushing customers to do that when he sold cars. It seems like he avoided jail time for that so far though.
Appreciate 0