View Single Post
      11-11-2021, 12:48 AM   #62
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

From the year or so I lived in Germany, it's my observation that they are very serious about driving. The average American driver wouldn't pass their written or practical tests, as you need far more knowledge to pass than the 60%, 20-question, multiple choice in the state where I got mine. You need almost a perfect score, and it was hundreds of questions. No excuse that you weren't aware of the rules. The driving test is lots more complete, requiring demonstration of skills beyond what some Americans never achieve. THen, their vehicle inspection is much more complete than most any I've seen in the USA. For example, when I was there, they put the vehicle on a machine that measured the braking force on each wheel for total power and balance L-R and F-R, and they ran the vehicle across a calibrated bump to check the shock absorbers for function. It's probably more sophisticated today. This was decades ago.

My boss, driving a German vehicle, with German plates, got stopped one weekend for touching the center line twice while going around a curve and received two citations...they expect you to be in control of your vehicle at all times. Another had had a few too many and was sleeping in his vehicle, but he had the key in the ignition. By law in Germany (at least at the time...don't know what is done now with keyless ignition!) if the key is in the ignition, even with the vehicle off, you're technically driving. He lost his license for a year. IOW, they take driving very seriously as well as vehicle status.
Appreciate 0