View Single Post
      07-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #61
Welfarebum
Rep
Drives: Ford Explorer

I've got a towing question... So I'm looking at the X5 45e hybrid. (I miss my old BMW Z3 that I owned for many years!) I see that the ICE in the hybrid is dialed down a bit and produces less hp than the ICE in the 40i. But the combined ICE + electric motor generates more torque and hp than the 40i.

Most of the year, it will be plugged in overnight and used for commuting and short trips around town. Perfect.

But in summer, I want to use the hybrid to tow our 3500 lb travel trailer + mountain bikes + fuel + family + Great Dane + water + gear + supplies. I've seen the total weight of everything approach 7,000 lbs. Currently, I tow this trailer with my 4.6l 8-cylinder 2007 Ford Explorer. The 45e actually has combined torque and power that is slightly greater than my old Ford.

But here is my thinking... I live in mountainous British Columbia. When towing, it's typical to encounter 1/2-hour-long climbs up mountain passes, followed by a plateau or summit, followed by more steep mountain climbing, followed by downhills stretches. It's a real mixed bag. But every so often, then are long, steep climbs.

So it seems to me that I'd want to tell the 45e to preserve battery power and use it only during the steep climbs while towing. And after the steep climb, I'd want to tell the 45e to recharge the battery in preparation for the next steep climb.

How do I do this? I believe there is a button to tell the vehicle to not use battery power. What button is that and where is it? When climbing, do I put it in sport mode to get maximum combined power? After a climb, how do I tell the vehicle to work hard to quickly recharge the battery to 100% using the ICE while cruising on the level. And finally, how long does it take for the ICE to fully recharge a depleted battery?

Answers to these questions will help me to decide whether the 45e is right for me.
Appreciate 0