View Single Post
      09-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #54
MGDisco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDangerous View Post
BMW UK just quoted me £3000 to retro fit a detachable towbar to my 45e. Apparently the time they have to allocate to fit on the 45e is three times more (approx 12 hours) on the 45e vs a non hybrid car.

Has anyone retro fitted a tow bar onto a 45e and specifically anyone done it in the UK?
That is a mega amount of money! With the factory fitted option being £995 (just checked the configurator for the 45e), this seems steep! As you are in the UK, does this fit-out include all 13 pins being connected? The reason I ask, is that the factory fitted option doesn't, and it was going to be an extras £800 for the dealer to replace / add on the extra wiring loom to provides the full 13 pin functionality. At that extra cost, plus additional work, I chose not to, so the fridge circuit does not come on in our caravan, which I can live with.

I hope the dealer has told you that the retro-fit towbar will have a lower towing limit than the factory fitted option, from recall it will be limited to 1900kg versus the 45e factory option being 2700kg - perhaps check your handbook, as mine only shows diesel/petrol models, not the 45e. Note the 1900kg applied to our vehicle (a 30d model) versus 3500kg, the petrol models are only derated to 2700kg from 3500kg - so it made sense to option the factory fit, as we may change our caravan during ownership. The retrofit option was priced at circa £2300 for our model - still expensive for a detachable towbar option....

Hope it all goes Ok for you.
Appreciate 0