05-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #20
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspeed View Post
Great information as always AndyM ! :biggrin:

I actually saw the red 3M tape being sold in Kragan that can be used for this purpose. They market it as a super strong 3M tape that can be used for car OEM molding attachments.

Anyways, just to add a few points and to summarize your instructions:

1) Use flossing thread under the original spoiler to remove it.
2) After removal of original spoiler, use Goo Gone to rub away remaining sticky residue from car body.
3) Use a 30%/70% alcohol to water mixture to remove the wax coating from area that the new performance spoiler will attach to.
4) Peel off one side of the red 3M tape, and stick it to the leading and trailing edge of the bottom of the spoiler (As I have not done this yet, I am thinking the 3M tape should run the whole edge)
5) Confirm alignment of new spoiler on the lip of the trunk.
6) Peel off the other side of the 3M tape, and stick the spoiler to the car trunk. Apply pressure firmly for at least 30seconds?
7) Allow the 3M red tape adhension to ‘cure’ for at least 12 hours before attempting any kind of force on the spoiler.

The above method is of course isolated to individuals looking to use the 3M tape method versus the BMW permanant epoxy method.

As I have not performed this mod yet, if anyone has any better advice to add, especially those who have already done it, please feel free to add your comments!

Thank you! :smile:
My experience with 3M tape (10+ years) is that what it is sold in a store is very different from what is correct one to use. I would call 3M and see what they say.

Use 3M Adhesive and Wax remover to remove the wax.
Appreciate 0