View Single Post
      11-28-2016, 02:12 AM   #81
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
Dude its year 2016 BMWs from 80,90 & early 2000 has no place in this world anymore, Other then being rare cars, But from an environmental perspective they are gone for. I Agree that BMW has done a lot of great cars in the past but now its 2016 and by the year 2030 if some of the rules that EU wants to push for goes thru then by 2030 no combustion engine cars are ever to be made again in the EU.

And by this logic BMW is changing their brand towards electric & hybrid cars, This is what annoys me the most about people who talks about how great BMW was back then, Yes that was back then different rules different era, You cant constantly live in the past and pretend nothing has changed and the enivorment is still the same and the emissions are not harmful for the planet.

BMW is doing what any smart brand has to do to survive they adapt and switch away research from old tech like combustion engines witch are still ineffective as a way of propelling our cars, Where a lot of energy is lost just out the exhaust for no good reason.

FWD small cars are better for fuel consumption and with smarter hybrid engines they do fit in perfectly for new type of rules that are being written in to the EU.

And if am not entirely wrong BMW is still offering great BMW M cars for those that want a more rare BMW focused on driving and fun rather then a transport from A to B, As for many of the million of people out their with cars they see the vehicle as a way of getting from A to B nothing more nothing less, And they couldn't care less what type of car it is, And that is the market BMW is trying to hit getting regular car buyers so they can keep developing the great M cars otherwise they are done for and we won't see any Ms at all in the future.

If people could start thinking like this on the forums that would be great and stop whining about "Oh god BMW has lost its way" yada this and yada that, No BMW has not lost its way they are adapting to a new world with new regulations and demands so they can survive and still make those car that we love so much even if they have to put out a car on almost every market.

I personally would love to see BMW in the future and that's why this type of models doesn't bother me. I know they exist for a good reason.

Adapt or be gone forever.
I think you are mistaken when you say that FWD cars are more efficient. The only things they are better for is packaging and production cost. They also easier handling for novices.

To give you a few examples.
Real MPG for a F30 320d: 53 mpg (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/...-f30-2012/320d).
Real MPG for the Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi: 47 mpg http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/...15/20-tdci-150
Real MPG for the Peugeot 508 2.0 HDi: 51.7 mpg http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/...08-2011/20-hdi
The 320d is one of the most fuel efficient car in its class, whilst being one of the most powerful...

The only reason why BMW decided to go FWD are for the 1 series is for packaging, production cost (using the cheaper mini architecture VS the more expensive F30 3 series architecture), and benign handling to attract a wider clientele.

In doing that and becoming more "genereralist" auto maker with the 1 series, 2 series tourer etc, they are taking the risk of losing their core clients.

The argument of economics about becoming a "generalist" car maker can also be defeated by the example of Porsche, which is one of the most profitable car maker, without having to dilute their brand.