Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
I read somewhere when oil is too thick it can be bad for turbo lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
BMW is actually already using 0w30 LL12FE in a number of vehicles, and its listed as a replacement for the 5w30 LL01 currently specified for most engines.

There is a SIB out on this and I suspect many if not most dealers have already made the switch.
many dealers have already made this switch. however, my 2011 manual specifies 5w30/5w40 and makes no mention of a zero weight.

if you havent noticed the trend, all modern vehicles are now making the switch to a 0w, but this is only in north america due to the CAFE requirements. please look it up if you are interested. to sum it down quickly, 0w-20 is now widely used in new vehicles for a roughly 0.2mpg increase which when added up with every vehicle a manufacturer makes is a notable difference. (Corporate Average Fuel Economy)

yes, you read that right. 0w oils are spec'ed purely for fuel economy purposes, with absolutely zero concern taken into consideration for rod bearing protection which in turn will suffer. driving aggressively with a 0w in your engine is death to rod bearings.
Appreciate 1