03-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #2240
dave_261
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2 View Post
Hi,

A few questions:
  • How do these incentives work? Is there a list somewhere of all of them or do you only know about them if the dealer tells you?
  • I have a BMW now. Do I get a loyalty discount?
  • My company has a corporate program which offers a $1000 discount (at least through 3/31, at which point the program will change)
  • How do I negotiate? Do I negotiate a price off MSRP and then say I have a corporate program? Or do I just put everything out there and see what I can get?

Thanks,
PB
1) Pays to do the research on the incentives. The list above is reasonably comprehensive... I would imagine some dealers are better than others about knowing current programs.
2) Not all incentives stack. Best to go to the dealer and say you believe you're eligible for XYZ (i.e. BMW cash, loyalty, corporate, etc.) and they will tell you what stacks.

In terms of negotiating, a few tips:
1) Be sure the dealer separates their dealer discount from all available incentives. In general they don't pay for the incentives, so don't let them wow you with what appears to be a big discount if most is coming from other sources

2) Only you can negotiate to the degree you want. What more and more people do is send an email to several (or many) dealers with the specific config you want, and see what you get, and then start going back & forth from there. Despite limited supply, people are still getting 8-10% off MSRP... PLUS available incentives. So if the MSRP is $65,000 and the dealer offers a $2,500 dealer discount, keep shopping. Typically dealers assume/hope you're going to be a poor negotiator (or scared of the process) and just take what they offer. Just need to be firm and push for more, and be prepared to go somewhere else if needed.

Last edited by dave_261; 03-29-2021 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0