View Single Post
      11-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #97
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A 16A device would not plug into the vast majority of US owner's homes. Most people have 15A receptacles. Code says that can't have more than a 12A continuous load device on it. Now, consider many people will charge this in the garage, and the lights and maybe garage door opener may be on the same circuit. How many would be complaining that each time they plug in, then open the garage door, their circuit breaker trips!?

A 16A device would be required to have a different plug than one designed to fit in a 15A receptacle.

There's one multi-voltage device out there that you must literally shake to switch the supply voltage...now, what happens if you don't - you'll likely pop your circuit breaker. One has a sensor that adjusts because of the type of adapter plug you attach. What happens to those adapters? Can you find them when needed?

The least complication is to supply a device that should universally work.

FWIW, the original unit delivered with the i3s was a 12A device...the maximum that you can use to plug into a 15A circuit. People ran into the same situation I mentioned earlier and were popping breakers. The later versions ended up with 10A devices, low enough so the breakers don't tend to pop.

What is supplied is (IMHO) not a cost cutting endeavor, it's a less annoying, and takes less skill from the operator to use. How many people never read the operator's manual and then complain things don't work?

Having a decent sized EVSE in your home will make selling it in the future easier. The electrician that installed mine said that in some areas, all new homes are required by local codes to at least be wired to install one. Look at it as futureproofing and increased convenience.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the ones included elsewhere max the vehicle out, but by being higher voltage, the charging rate would be nearer to maximum.
Appreciate 0