View Single Post
      06-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
Anyone has instruction on DIY oil change for this particular model? Or should I refer to older model's? Is it possible to do pump oil change from the top, rather than bottom? I prefer not getting under the car in my sloped garage.
My oil change procedure for my 2021 X5 x40i (B58 TU) engine. I have a lift (QuickJack BL6000) so I warm up engine until oil is about 100°F or slightly less. Loosen filler cap to let air in as oil drains out. If I’m going to take a sample for testing this is when to do that as oil is draining. I let oil drain until basically stops dripping. I replace crush washer with new one and reinstall drain plug and torque to 25N-m. I then lower vehicle down to ground and remove plastic engine cover. To better access oil filter canister, I push the release tab on the turbo inner cooler fluid reservoir and lay it over on top of engine and use a small piece of wire to tie it back without straining either tube coming from it. This will give you reasonable clear access to oil filter unit. I stuffed a couple rags around filter canister in case of oil spilling, but really didn’t have much at all. I purchased a 32MM Oil Filter Socket from ALTIN off Amazon for little over $10 that make things much easier than a general use 32MM socket. My canister cap was a little tight all the way out but no problems. Then just pull out old filter from cap and replace with new one. Caution Note: there are four, sort of alignment features inside the cap and on oil filter so if you pull on the old one and it seems a bit too hard to come off, rotate it a bit and it comes right out. I changed “O” ring on cap with new one from kit and used some new oil to lubricate three “O” rings in new filter and the one on cap and then reinstalled. Cap calls for 25N-m torque, but my cap was somewhat snug all the way in just like it was coming out, so I just stopped when it hit bottom (“O” Ring is the seal anyway). I put in 6 quarts plus 12 ounces of fresh oil. Replace the turbo cooling reservoir and replace old fill cap. Started vehicle and let it warm up to operating temperature and had it measure oil fill. I always check for leak too. All done from there. I’m sure others have differences of opinions but that is how of have done mine.
Appreciate 4