11-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #10
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Ok, so I am not a very big person 5'6" 165 and i cannot find a comfortable seat position in these M seats. I find the side bolsters are hard and too close together which squeezes my thighs together. I have tried all different positions for a month since I have had the vehicle. Particularly, in city traffic I get extremely bad pain in my right thigh and ass every time to the point I need to stop and get out to stretch. feels like sciatica. Even after the stretch I feel the effects for a day or more, thigh, ass and down to my knees. Any one else experience pain or discomfort with these seats? I was hoping they would give a bit by now, but they don't seem to be getting any better. I am to the point where I am really considering getting rid of the X6M and I find myself just not wanting to drive it some of the time. I don't know if I can live with this for the next couple years. Other than that the X has been great. too bad because I really want to like the vehicle. My previous 2013 X6M seats were awesome and I found them to be comfortable on both short and long drives.
Copied from a post on seating comfort I wrote in 2015:
______

Maybe the following helps, for whatever it's worth -- I had the same seating discomfort on the X5 M, now solved as follows by "relearning" what I had been doing wrong for decades.

One month ago at the BMW Driving Experience course the instructor told us at the beginning to find a good seating position and advised to diligently follow this adjustment sequence:

1. first, vertically adjust your seat as high as possible (but leave at least one inch clearance from the roof) and incline the backrest so that your upper body sits at an angle of about 100 degrees with your thighs; please note that the X5 M backrest can be "doubly" adjusted by separately inclining its upper part (the "headrest" adjustment), which adds a difficulty that may require redoing the whole 1. to 4. sequence;

2. then, horizontally adjust the seat distance from the pedals by positioning the LEFT foot against the footrest so that the upper body can be comfortably "pinned" against the backrest by pushing the left foot against the footrest. Surprisingly, this adjustment needs to be quite precise, within about half an inch - and too near or too far becomes rapidly obvious.

3. then, adjust the driving wheel distance and height until you can fully cross your arms on the wheel without separating your back from the backrest; the wheel distance is much more important than its height, which can then be adjusted (and re-adjusted) to your liking;

4. only then start twiddling with side, lumbar and thigh supports -- and don't forget to always memorize the settings.

After a while you may need to repeat the whole sequence because some adjustments influence the others and your body also needs to adjust, but at least in my case after a while the discomfort was fully gone.

Until now I had been driving far too inclined and too far from the pedals - and it took me some time to really understand & accept the improvement, but now I feel really comfortable with the X5 M seat.

———

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=18486516
Appreciate 5
omasou2088.00
GrussGott18180.50
PBT143.00
LOFT183.00