10-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
Should I just do the JB4 for now until I have all the parts for the complete stage 2.5 race tune?
This is probably an OK plan. Only caveat is you'll want to have something to read codes and reset check engine lights. I run my JBD (don't try putting a JB4 on a diesel, it won't end well) at 100% but if I don't wait long enough after initial start up before really getting on it I'll go into limp mode and occasionally throw a check engine light. Limp mode can be cured by restarting but you'll be stuck with the CEL if you don't have something to reset it.

Some hypothesize that a JBD will accelerate CBU because the added fuel creates more soot that gets recirculated through the EGR. Of course if you block the EGR that won't be a concern, but blocking the EGR without a tune will definitely leave you with a check engine light. There are tools available (Burger Cantool being the one I've used) that will reset that light for you every time you start the car.

Those are the main issues with the JBD - it's a compromise and certainly not a "complete solution" like a tune is, but if you can deal with those issues it certainly gets the job done. You can probably find a used JBD for $150 or less if you look around and/or wait long enough.

I second the comments above regarding the LSD.
Appreciate 0