View Single Post
      12-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #34
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I guess my position was always that a driver should not be forced to steer out of the way of another one to avoid being crashed into unless they are completely alongside each other.
At the time of impact both cars are approaching the chicane at a similar speed, side by side, but crucially Prost is ahead...the onus is therefore always on Senna to brake harder since he knows it is inevitable that Prost will turn in to the apex. Senna chooses to take the chance that he will somehow come out of it ahead otherwise the DWC is lost regardless of the outcome of the next race.
I guess also if you dislike Prost then you are going to see the incident differently...same if you were not a Senna fan.
For me I think there was an element of poetic justice that Senna lost that championship due to some harsh driving tactics by Prost...something that Senna had no qualms at all about using whenever it suited him.

Trying to make comparisons with other incidents is always going to be tricky.
Schumacher got away with deliberately crashing into Hill in Australia after hitting the wall and coming slowly back onto the track waiting for Hill to get alongside. It is a comparable incident?..well not at all except that it decided the championship.
Similar Villeneuve Schumacher...Villeneuve was already past when MS decided to make that double turn of the steering wheel into JV...not really a comparable incident either....although there was that same poetic justice that MS ended up in the gravel and lost the championship.
A closer incident would be Leclerc on Perez when they recently collided but no one is saying that it was Perez's fault?
Senor problem starts with that.. Prost wasnt expected to be forced out the way.. he steered into way for a very late blocking.. i dont know how much earlier before the turn starts in meters wise but it looks quite a lot since its a heavy braking chicane.. that initiated the accident.. with that line he must jumped over the curb as well since it was only the braking phase..

for double checking what im saying.. you can see Senna's braking distance.. when they were both stationary they were side by side.. a kamikaze wont able to stop like along side with the car in front.. they have the same machinery so one of the variables is eliminated as well..

for bias part.. actually no.. back in the days when i started to know Senna and Prost, things that happened, politics, characters all those stuff made me dislike Prost.. this behaviour at Suzuka only was something and then running to his political friend at that time to DQ Senna made it even worse..

i gave those examples cause again MS was the car in front.. you re basically saying, car in front shouldnt be forced out the way.. well if the car in front steers into way very late, it ll be on the way anyway.. just like Prost and MS's case.. it cant be a clear line to distinguish.. closing door is not what Prost or MS did in those incidents..

or in other terms the car behind must disappear if there is a late blockage at that speed.. but its impossible there ll be a crash.. and if someone sees the car behind and does that very late.. it ll be a deliberate crash what else it can be..

Perez and Lec's incident is not the same Perez didnt even see Lec on his mirrors.. Prost was checking his mirrors he knew Senna is inside outbraking him.. its a different scenario.. we can dive to that also but it ll blur out Senna - Prost talk i believe..