View Single Post
      02-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
It depends on what you like. Our X5 has AS and IAS. I won't comment about IAS here since the question is AS.

My wife LOVES the Air Suspension. It's a comfortable ride and it reminds me of a similar ride as that of a Range Rover Sport. Bumps and road imperfections get absorbed very well. We've had X5's (and Land Rovers) with rear only air suspension and the 4 wheel air suspension on the G05 is on a different level.

That said, for me personally, I wouldn't do it. However, I prefer a more taut or Teutonic ride. For reference, my M550i is probably as soft as I would want so to me the air sprung X5 is almost like riding on a marshmallow. The dampers on the X5 do a good job with managing the responsive air springs so I don't notice any secondary wheel hop over like on an American large SUV (Tahoe or Expedition, etc.). Ultimately it's a very personal choice and I would suggest taking a test drive to get an idea of what you want/like. But to quickly summarize, if you're coming from a Japanese or American SUV or an air sprung Land Rover, then you'll probably love the air suspension. If you're coming from a German sport sedan (M-Sport BMW, etc.) then you may want to take an extra long test drive in an AS X5 before committing.
Appreciate 0