View Single Post
      09-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Since you're going to clean with ethanol, do that and then see if the noise goes away before applying the gummipfledge. Your end goal is to get rid of the noise, right? If the gummipfledge makes it worse, you'll have a tough time getting if off the surface. Also, you might want to clean the painted door jam that comes in contact with the door gasket. Use something safe for paint.
So an update with my X5 and the creaking noise, I cleaned the rubber seals (door and body) very carefully with ethanol and was quite surprised by how much debris/residue/dirt there was; I also polished then waxed the painted surfaces. Then I applied BMW-branded gummi-pfledge to the rubber seals then let it dry for about an hour with the X5 doors open and a fan running in the garage; I also applied Chemical Guys VRP to the hard plastic areas (window surrounds, etc.), probably overkill, but just in case. It got pretty warm in my area today (high 90s Farenheit) and the noise is gone at various speeds and road surfaces; we will see how long it lasts. As for the gummi-pledge itself, it seems the formulation has changed a bit; I think the previous version might have been a vaseline-like product in terms of consistency/viscosity; the one I got is a clear liquid with a sponge applicator. Fingers crossed the noise is gone...at least for a little while.
Appreciate 2
buze132.00