View Single Post
      02-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #1
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

A car to last until the end of ICE vehicles

In a couple years, I'm going to be shopping for a car to get me to the end of ICE vehicles which I suspect will be about 20-25 years from now. I have two toy cars now, my 128i and a Bullitt Mustang. My wife and I share an Outback and she has a new Civic. I plan to keep my toys as long as I can get parts to maintain them, but I'm looking for my last daily driver.

I hate most new cars. I hate nannies, I hate touch screens, I hate CVTs, and get off my F%#@in' lawn! The only new cars that interest me are an STI, Civic Type R, M2, BRZ, and maaaaybe a 370Z. I'm also open to low-mileage used cars that are easy to work on and reliable enough to last 25 years with some maintenance.

Rules:
1) Must be a manual
2) Can't be more than around $40k
3) Needs to be comfortable enough for a daily driver and occasional road trips

My musings...
2015-ish Tacoma V6--available with a manual, sans nannies, lasts forever, but shit gas mileage. Not fun, but damn useful.
2015-ish Shelby GT350--amazing track weapon, but harsh on the street and I don't know about 25 year longevity.
E46 M3--Yeah I wish. Perfect car for me, but longevity is definitely in question. I wouldn't call it easy to maintain either and $$$.
Subaru BRZ--Fun, cheap, and easy to maintain. Not a great long-distance tourer though.

Dark horse candidates
2021 Bronco 2 door--It will probably be packed with gadgets and gizmos, but maybe not. Also rumored to have a manual option.
Totally restored/restomodded 240Z--I cut my teeth on a '76 280Z. It was my first car. Easy to maintain, fun, eternal classic. Would need modern AC, but doable. Simple enough I could probably keep it running 25 years. Not very comfortable though and prices are getting up there.
Mercedes W124 500E--I've always wanted one of these. One got away from me and I never got over it. Built like a tank, but it's already 25 years old. It's not a manual, but I'd make a rare exception for one. Could I keep it running reliably for another 20 years. Hmm...

What other ideas have you got???

Last edited by Thunderguts; 02-11-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0