View Single Post
      08-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #59
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I did this mod on my 2019 40i. It came with the full crystal set but since I am upgrading to a 2022 M50i, I decided I wanted to move the BMW OEM part over to the new one and use the aftermarket Crystal Series one on the 40i. I was able to pull the knob off without any tools which I didn’t trust using. Unfortunately as one other poster mentioned happened, I pulled the entire knob assembly out. It didn’t damage anything except my index finger but it was a little disconcerting. I popped out the BMW crystal piece from the whole assembly with a wood dowel with masking tape on the end for cushioning. I then popped the Crystal Series part into the assembly, carefully aligned the assembly into the dash and pushed firmly. It clicked into place and I was done after about 15 minutes. I now have the BMW part for my new ride and the 40i is undamaged and complete.

I did notice the Crystal Series font has a bit heavier weight than the font used on the BMW one and on mine, the text appears slightly twisted but it will do for the trade. Glad I didn’t use this on my M50i! I’ll have the OEM to put in there. The OEM is on the right and the aftermarket is on the left.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
John H.230.00