View Single Post
      10-16-2021, 01:10 AM   #60
dormouse
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

For those of you who are reluctant to try this mod because you are hesitant to take pliers to the metal ring, wedge a screwdriver in there, or drill out the cover... try a guitar pick (or plectrum for our friends across the pond). It needs to be a fairly heavy thickness. The one I used says it's 0.88mm, but YMMV.

Notice in the 1st image that there is a slot for a clip to hold the cover in place. That area of the cylinder is flat, so it provides the widest "lip" for the pick to fit under. The 2nd image points to the area and that's where you want to initially push the pick in between the cover and the metal ring. Once you have the pick in there, the natural inclination is to try to pry the cover up at this point, but I found that the pick isn't strong enough to do that. Instead, with the pick wedged in there, flatten it out some, but rather than prying, rotate the pick to the orientation shown in the 3rd image. As the tip of the pick climbs back out, above and over the metal ring, the force of the pick straightening itself out will pop that clip loose. Now you move 180 degrees to the other side of the cover and similarly get that one to release.

After a little trial and error, this method worked out perfectly for me. It's low risk and let me keep the OE cover intact just in case.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0