View Single Post
      06-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #89
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Thank you for replying - I forgot about this. I checked the other day, audio & hvac off, if I put my ear right up to the display I can hear it. Very high pitched and you're right, not a fan. Thankfully it's so quiet I can't hear it unless I've got my ear up to it.

Maybe capacitors or something humming away?
May I ask your age? The reason I ask your age is that there is a known phenomenon related to people that are in their teens or early 20s. There is a certain high frequency range that can be easily heard by that age group that can't be heard by older people. I worked in IT at a high school and we discovered this and monopolized on it in unruly classrooms. We'd play the high frequency, which most teachers couldn't hear, but student's went berserk when they heard. it.

We started doing it just for a prank. The students would go nuts! "What is that terrible noise!? Turn it off! Stop!" We would say: "We don't hear anything. What are you talking about?" They would reply: "You can't hear that? Are you guys deaf?" It's really high pitched and sounds like a squealing noise!"

We eventually gave in and told them what it was. Most were unaware of the phenomenon.
Appreciate 1