07-01-2020, 04:59 AM   #1456
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
So the EXACT same thing happened about 2 years ago to my mom's little dog. All of a sudden Winston refused to go in the back yard, was shaking, trembling, crying. This went on for weeks. They were convinced that he encountered something like a raccoon or a coyote in the yard that scared the Hell out of him, though no signs he was attacked. One evening my mom was making something in the InstantPot and it beeped when it finished. Winston immediately pissed all over the floor and ran under the sofa. That was when they realized it was a beeping noise that was bothering him. Because my stepdad is a little on the spectrum and is bothered by some noises like electronic beeps, they have diligently turned off or purchased appliances that don't beep, but the InstantPot is like the one thing they have that does. Anyway they headed out into the back yard which was the epicenter of Winston's anxiety. They quietly walked around and listened. Sure enough, they got over to the fence between them and the neighbor's house and they eventually heard the faint beep of a smoke alarm. The house had been vacant for about a month after the renters moved out and the homeowners had yet to put it on the market for sale. They called the owners and had them come over and change the battery in the smoke alarm. Problem solved! Winston was back in the yard like nothing happened. BUT for a couple months any beep (on TV, the InstantPot, etc.) would send him running and crying. He eventually just kinda got over it. I hope your dog will too.

As another poster said, try lots of positive reinforcement and be patient. Unfortunately you cant reason with a dog so you're stuck trying to support him as best you can.

When our oldest dachshund, Bella, was about 2 we took her to a 4th of July party. When the fireworks started she panicked and started hyperventilating. She never got over that. Fireworks or thunder would immediately send her into a panic. She was like that for the next 12 years. One time I came home from work after a thunderstomr and she was gone. I looked everywhere. Finally found her in the bathtub with shit everywhere. That was a bad one. She's now 14 and has lost enough of her hearing that she just doesn't hear the low frequencies anymore. Problem solved, I guess.

Thanks for sharing.

It just sucks when I know the little guy is upset...and I can't do anything for him.

You know typical "man" stuff. Plus I'm an Engineer. There is supposed to be a solution to any problem if you look hard enough.

Right now we know it's the beeping...and the low "boom" of a firework. Thunder doesn't bother him. Odd thing is he thinks it's coming from inside the house. We go open the door, and he immediately wants to go outside.

Once outdoors ...he's fine and back to "patrolling" the porch!