View Single Post
      02-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I am in the middle of a 2200 mile family roadtrip with my family in my new X5 50i M-Sport. 200 miles on the odometer when we left from PA to Florida. Construction out side Orlando is a mess with multiple lane shifts and make shift construction zones. Traffic flow on 3 lanes was moving 75-80mph 3 accross and tight. A couple cars ahead couldn't make the 3 lane shift and the turns at that speed was too much for their skill level. So some slammed on their brakes causing multiple cars slamming into their sides and it was like a NASCAR wreck. My X5 was on ACC and as soon as I saw smoke and car parts flying into the air 8 cars up, my Collision Avoidance was already taking hold of the vehicle with a red beeping alarm and the sound of anti lock braking on full strength. Seatbelts tightened up and the X5 was slowing faster than the Toyoya Sequioa that his auto brake activated but ran into the car ahead. The X5 swerved into the left media allowing the Lexus RX350 behind me enough room to tap the Toyota Sequioa I was following. We managed to pass the carnage of cars on the left.
The take away is the M Brakes with advanced safety made our $100k X5 seem like a bargain. My wife was amazed. It out performed the other vehicles safety features around us by such a margin it was shocking. Obviously the driver is the biggest safety feature but in a urban area when forced to drive around inferior skill levels, I will take all the added safty edge I can buy.
Awesome story and outcome for you and your family. I'm glad you guys are okay.

On my last car I skipped the nanny options because I wanted to be in control of the car and I wasn't sure the technology was there in 2014. This time I opted to embrace the new technology the same way I did when ABS brakes came out and air bags before that. Stories like this make me glad I ordered our G05 with all the safety stuff (except night vision). Worth every penny.

Have fun on the rest of your trip.
Appreciate 1