tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad500 View Post
Nice watches

I wear a N.O.A - Steve Wynn and Tom Hanks wear them too if I remember.

Not crazy expensive circa $1600 and up and I thought they were pretty good looking too.

$1600 or so is about the top end of the "sweet spot" in watches right now, at least in one regard - value for price. I don't really know why it is, but for some reason there're plenty of good things in the $250-$1200 range. Most anything over $3500 is a very nice watch. But for some reason, once one lands in that middle ground of $1500-$3500, finding something that is actually a better device than those costing less is quite hard to do.

It's not impossible to find good mid-prices watches, but it takes a lot of looking around and more often than not, looking in malls and typical retailers won't yield such an article. The ones that are worth more than their marketing generally don't have the advertising budgets of companies like Tag, which is the brand that clearly dominates that price point in terms of sales. Accordingly, most retailers just can't afford to keep pieces in stock that don't move because their success depends on turning over inventory.

Of course, style and looks have nothing to do with my point. If one just loves the look of, say a Cartier Tank watch, a basic one will land squarely in the mid range. Even though there's nothing at all wrong with the movement inside, it's not any better or worse than a ton of movements found in less costly pieces. What is arguably better is the cache of the Cartier brand name. As long as one recognizes that that's what one is paying for, there's no way to be wrong for doing so. And let's face it, it feels good to go around sporting a nice brand name, be it BMW or Cartier, just so long as one does so with the right perspective.

Given the preceding, I more often find myself rarely buying watches that fall far into the mid-range price wise. $1600 is about as much as I'm willing to spend unless I've actually discovered something really "worth it" and costing a bit more. If I do spend $2500 give or take, I most often just face and accept the fact that I do so because I can't get the look/style I want at a lower price and that that particular purchase is style motivate. No different than why some folks may buy cars that cost as much as a BMW but don't drive as well. Nothing wrong with that either. It just comes down to what's important and what's not to the individual spending the money.

All the best.

PS
I have no clue what N.O.A. means, and I don't personally know Steve or Tom, so that didn't help either. LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0