View Single Post
      12-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
2 Axle Air Suspension has a higher payload capacity due to active f/r axle load distribution. It's included with the 7 seat option hence the difference between the 3 40i you mentioned.

On the transmission side, it's not that it doesn't have a proper unit for towing, rather it's the way it operates from a standstill. It will roll backwards and put significant wear on the internal Trans Brake B if you're not paying attention and don't take proactive steps.

The G05 has these limits:

Towing above 4500lbs, when starting off on an incline, place gear selector to manual mode and select 1st gear. Pull parking brake switch to fully activate and release (Auto Hold Hill Start Assist is not sufficient). Upon application of accelerator, brakes will hold until the transmission has closed brake set B and will fully engage the Torque Converter lockup clutch immediately once forward motion is achieved.

Up to GVWR and 5500lb trailer load - 8% incline for standing start, 12% incline while in motion.

GVWR and 5501 - 6800lb trailer load - 5% incline for standing start, 8% incline while in motion.

GVWR and trailer load 6801lb - 7200lb - Incline start not recommended, 8% incline while in motion in conjunction with driver use of transmission manual mode for appropriate application of gear.

Only suggested the Disco because it is the most capable of the European SUV's at 8201lbs towing capacity. It comes with a Class V hitch standard (as does full size Range Rover when factory fitted) so up to 990lbs tongue weight if you don't load the back and stay within the rear GAWR limit.
Is quite a bit of this related to the 8HP setting off in 2nd whenever it can?

The 40i has a slightly shorter first gear and final drive, 5.25 and 3.39 vs the 50i at 5.00 and 3.15. Would this mean that if the brake set B is the same on the 8HP51 and 8HP76 that the 40i would actually be a better option for heavy towing?