Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrab View Post
So what would be a purpose of even using this feature if its counter eco?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Charging the battery with battery hold is not regenerative but active charging with the ICE. The ICE is powering the dynamo. ... to use pre heating or cooling ... Another reason could be to be able to drive electric into the city centre.
Exactly - As I've been reading up on the 45e it's occurred to me that driving a PHEV requires all new motoring/driving/planning skills and probably more than even a BEV because there everything is electric versus a PHEV which has some of the downsides of electric (power, heat, a/c, charging, etc), but is also an ICE vehicle. Thus the driver has to understand how the equipment works/interacts so they can make the right choices.

As mentioned, the e-motor can either help spin the drive axle - or be spun by drive axle; and, of course, when the ICE spins the e-motor that charges the batteries, but also puts a new load on the ICE, thus the lower MPG.

I'd use battery hold for the reasons X5 45e describes, and also for sport mode so I can have full power - since my primary reasons for getting the PHEV are lower acquisition & operating costs (if I want) and to start understanding the technology (including the trade-offs!). The X5 allows me to do that in SUV packaging and hopefully also provides a more chill experience (which I'm not sure I'll like )
You don't have to keep battery for sport mode. As soon as you switch to sport mode it starts to regen more (slow down mode when you release gas) and also charges the battery to (I think) 15% to have enough e boost for a sporty driving style.

The chill electric mode happened to me and others. And it is relaxing. Somehow it encourages to adapt a more relaxing drive. Releasing gas earlier to regen more and brake less and keeping it in electric for accelerating. You can drive fast, bot you don't have to.
Appreciate 2