View Single Post
      11-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
M50iStiller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Nice build, very similar to mine (Week 49... but just started production yesterday - yay!).

I also test drive a SQ8 (I previously owned a 2018 SQ5 which I absolutely loved - had sport diff and air suspension). The SQ8 was just not nearly as exciting as I would have expected and I didn't care for the way it drove - under hard acceleration the rear end "squatted" too much and made it feel like a boat (very long front end from driving position). I looked at the Cayenne (GTS - overpriced for its size and power) and F-Pace SVR (exhaust sounds amazing) as well but for various reasons ruled those out.

I am most looking forward to the combo of 2-axle air suspension and a V8 with low-end torque. One of the big criticisms of true M SUVs (I am looking at you, X3M) is that they compromise around-town ride quality for sheer handling performance. The M50i seems to be the best compromise in that area (with all suspension options, not just Air). Also, the X3M has a lack of torque between 0-2,500RPM that is a common complaint as well, which should not be present in the M50i platform.
Couldn't have said it better myself. In on the M50i + air suspension for all of the reasons you suggested. Plus this will be my wife's car and she is coming from a Grand Cherokee with air suspension. I may have considered the DHP more if it was my daily. I think having the 742ms will help offset the "softness" of the air ride. We test drove an SQ7 and thought kind of the same. It was fast but rode like a Cadillac. Some people like that I guess. We drove the SVR too. It was fast - but reminded me too much of a small crossover SUV. Too small for my liking.

The M50i torque is impressive. I have an SRT JGC and the low end torque feel on the m50i are night and day.
Appreciate 0