View Single Post
      12-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #27
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
By the very ideology of the "megaphone shouting earth friendly hypocrisy movement", they want easily disposable and recyclable products. Of course they have no desire of quality or heirloom products that last which in turn wouldn't end up in a landfill as soon but hey, they don't want you to drive or own a car in the first place so.......
This is actually really easy to disagree with. Though this is based on my opinions and reasonable people can have differing opinions.

The quoted label is an odd moniker of what group in particular? Disposable and recyclable are different concepts with the comment on ending in a landfill seeming to disregard what "recycle" means. Should mass produced cars that most initial buyers will lease or sell within 5-8 years really be considered heirloom? Who is this "they" bogeyman? Is it a group of people interested in mitigating the harm our species is doing to the world we leave our children? Is it a bunch of people that get off telling others what to drive? Is it really so straightforward?

Progress means things like developing an assembly line that can create a car for you from small parts in a day. It means developing an HUD that folks can option not to have if they dislike it. And it means recognizing that some of the stuff "we" did before may not have balanced risk and benefit in such a way as to remain sustainable for others that go after us.

We are all hypocrites at some level. And it's infuriating to hear the holier than thou bull snickers (I don't know the rules on cussing here ) from some in the group I think was mentioned above. But I believe there are far more people who are good intentioned, who recognize the types of changes that move us toward a future more sustainable for the coming generations are small and incremental, and who try to "be the change they wish to see in the world". These are the people I want making rules and regulations that result in incremental changes to clean up our act. And yeah, you may need to patch a few more dents. But you're participating in making the smallest of steps toward a better world.

So I disagree. At least until my new 45e gets a ding (kidding!)

*note: the above argument depends on a rigorous application of the scientific method to environmental study and legislation based on results/data/science. Not on politicians (of any persuasion) twisting science to support their agenda. This is a very challenging part of the equation.
Appreciate 0