Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i + 4Runner

Garage List
06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater
I bought through BMW Military Sales program (from Pentagon Car Sales in Kaiserslautern) Has anyone out there bought their car in person from one of the PCS showrooms and then taken delivery at a U.S. port and, if so, what was the process and how was the experience?
For military sales, you have three options.
1. Take delivery overseas and register the car overseas at your duty location. At the end of your tour, ship the car using your "one car" entitlement or use Space A. With space A, you have to drop off the car at a designated port and pay a crane fee. Your transportation office can direct you to the nearest Space A location.

2. Take delivery in Europe, register the car and use it overseas. When you want to ship the car back to the U.S., let BMW ship it for around $700. You can drop off the car in several locations in Europe but you can only pick up at designated ports in the East Coast or West Coast (no dealerships). You can also pick up the car in Munich and drive it straight to the drop off point. The advantage of this is that you don't have to pay the 3% import tax.

3. Take Stateside Delivery option that costs around $2200. This includes transportation to your dealer of choice, vehicle prep, and the 3% import tax.

Several friends did option 2. One picked up in New Jersey and another picked up Los Angeles. It worked well for them.

I did option 3 because Pentagon Car Sales (PCS) messed up my order and delayed my production date by 2 months. Next time I will do ED and stay away from PCS.

Keep in mind that when you do option 1 or 2, you have to fax BMW NA the invoice so you can get warranty work done on your car.

Hope this helps.
Niko

|U.S. Spec. 325i | 6 Spd. Manual | Titanium Silver | Black Leatherette | Aluminum Trim | Sports Package | Xenons | Sat. Prep. |
Appreciate 0