03-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #23
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
Except BMW didn't learn their lesson. My take is based on the timing, BMW had exclusive WIRELESS apple carplay and therefore wanted to capitalize on that (To be fair, they probably did spend money to make this work). They made it free when other competitors had wireless as well. I'm not 100% sure about Audi but I know Benz definitely got wireless carplay in their new cars. I believe even Hyundai is going to start offering wireless carplay.
This is not true. BMW never had any exclusive deals with Apple for wireless CarPlay. It's just that BMW was the first car manufacturer to embrace it. Various 3rd party car audio has it as well.

Audi also has wireless carplay.
As for Mercedes, they have announced wireless carplay for their MBUX system for like a couple of years? But I don't think they have it yet. At least their newest GLE did not - even worse, GLE's CarPlay is displayed in a small window inside their huge display, and cannot go fullscreen!

Once you have tried other manufacturers' CarPlay, you will realize BMW has the best implementation, despite some bugs initially with G05.
Appreciate 0