View Single Post
      08-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
MGDisco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Hi,

I have the towbar on order as factory fit. I too thought that 1900kg is low as the max limit for towing. It appears that this limit may apply if you fit a towbar after build.

From what I can gather from searches on this point (noted on some reviews mind you), is that the towbar package will have a higher limit (3500kg? maybe). I also was in 2 minds to option the off road package, as it was also stated in the BMW brochure information that this option increases the towing limit to 3500kg. So which one is it? I didn't go for the off-road in the end.... went for Driving Assistance Professional instead - more use over the time we'll have the vehicle

What isn't clear is if it is the towbar being factory fitted that increases it, or the off road package that increases it even for an after-build towbar being fitted

The towbar package is supposed to have additional oil cooling (for the gearbox? this would make sense) that would allow greater towing capacity. At least according to the sales adviser at the dealership. The towing capacity appears OK, for myself, as the caravan is max weight of 1647kg's so 1900kg will be ample. Kerb weight of~2150kg for the 30D is more key to stability for us towing, which is a high enough ratio to be less concerning than some other vehicles that we were considering.

I'm due to look at the X5 before delivery (on the 30th) with our caravan to determine if the 13 pin plug does actually cover both battery/fridge functions, so I'll, see what I can determine then too on the actual towing weight capacity.

Reason for checking before delivery - previous BMW towing looms have needed an additional loom to be fitted to enable these functions as part of the tow package, hence I'm dubious that it will work out of the box on the G05. Even though I have asked the specific question and the tech at the dealer inquired through their chanels and confirmed it is expected to be 'fully' wired on the G05. Let's see..... If it does need extra wiring, I'd prefer it fitted at the dealer BEFORE delivery, rather than having to go back after to request the work to be done. Previous additional loom work was a rear end dismantling to fit it, circa £700 to add a £100 loom.....

Hope this is helpful, I'll look at posting after my visit if I can ascertain the capacity details - I'll check the VIN/rating plate to see what it states if I get the chance to pop the bonnet when I'm there (note the car won't be PDI'ed at the time, so it might not happen...)
Appreciate 0