GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finito84 View Post
I ordered my X5 45e two weeks ago at the end of September. It took the dealership a long time to place the order and still waiting on the vin/production number.
In case you didn't know, the production number and the VIN are separate things:

(1.) The production number should be given to you the day you place your order with the dealer - if they didn't/don't give you a production number, they didn't actually place the order with BMWNA / Spartanburg (i.e., they didn't actually have an allocation and simply took down your info hoping for an allocation next month, or gave your allocation to someone else who's paying more)

(2.) The VIN comes later once the production number is on its way to becoming a vehicle, i.e., once the vehicle is actually being assembled.

The production number is basically the unique id for the configuration you want tied to the dealer and you as a customer. The VIN is eventually assigned to the production number, but this happens after the prod# is both scheduled for production and being produced (usually around paint shop time, at least that's how it's been at the Regensburg factory).

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-16-2020 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10815.50