10-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #20
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Interesting! I didn't know that could be done. Could you tell us more about which harness you used and where you installed the extra sub? Could you send any pictures? I'd love to put a sub in the luggage compartment underneath the trunk in my X6 and power it from a separate mono amp which I could also locate in the same area.
Yes, sure.

The trunk of the 45e is a little different I guess so I don't know exactly what the bottom of your trunk looks like but I'm pretty sure the battery (batteries actually) is also underneath it.

The subwoofer is fixed in the trunk with luggage straps to the cargo hooks, and I soldered a high current plug in the speaker wire (from an R/C car), so it is very easily removable if the seats need to fold.

The stock HK amplifier is in the left cubbyhole, you can see it in the second picture. Just unplug and put the harness in between, then you have an output for the front speakers (and also the possibility to power the HK subwoofers from a separate amp, if you so desire.)

I used the harness by technic, he is pretty known for that stuff on several BMW forums and made a business out of it. This is the one for the HK, for example:
http://technicpnp.com/product-catego...on-688-x5-g05/

The speaker output goes to a Line Out Converter, take care there as you need one which can handle the high voltage output of the stock amplifier. I used an LC2i, that works good.

In the third picture you see what my trunk looks like, the bottom cover removes very easily with just 7 plugs (which you can even take out with your fingernails ). In the fourth picture you see what it looks like underneath, easy access the the battery and my monoblock amp is right next to it.

In the fifth picture you see where I put the amp for the HK subs.

Last picture is just a detail for the battery power connection (fused of course)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2